Friday, November 15, 2013

Job Search


2 years ago I moved from Israel to the US to live and work,
Analyzing it in hindsight It seems the way I searched for a job was not good, and existing methods and tools are not good enough either. This was my experience

I got Rejected without getting interviews
I applied to Khan Academy and some Media Lab company, and they rejected me without giving me an interview, for both I think I was a good fit, where excited about what they worked on, and could have passed an interview, but got rejected without getting one.

The Jobs I ended up working at weren't a great fit for me
I had 2 jobs: 
The first one, I found very randomly, a non-profit, building an educational search engine.
The second was very default, Google.
In both cases, team, culture and work weren't a great fit for me.

Conclusion
I'm very thankful for what I got,
And although there are way better ways for finding a job like Angellist,( which I didn't know about at the time), In many cases it's still hard to get an interview, and  still hard to figure out if a company is a good fit for you.

And the next blog I'm gonna talk about the solution I'm thinking about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment